Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Due to the weather, I'm still stripping

Yes, you read that right.
I am still stripping.
I'm sure we've all done it at some point.
Maybe we aren't proud of it, or maybe we are, but either way, we suck it up and do it.
But I really thought I would be done by now. I thought, this job will be in and out fast.
Well, I was wrong.
First, I didn't realize JUST how many layers there were to get through to the bare nakedness. Second, I probably should have started with the spray on stuff first.
And Third, this DARN weather just won't cooperate! I need SUN people!

Yes, I am still working on removing all the nasty black paint and crappy wood stain to my hubby's dresser.
Oh my gosh!
What were you thinking? : )

On a brighter note, I love it when rich people donate to thrift stores. They just don't care what things initially cost. I found these beauties for only $1.60 a piece! I KNOW!
I've been pricing "bun feet" online and holy cow, they are Uber expensive! But not if you find them, when you need them, at your local S.A.! These are going on hubby's dresser, if it ever warms up enough to start on it again.
*Does the sunny weather dance*
They are actually already painted a nice glossy black, those did get finished in amongst one of the nice days weeks back. And yes, there are four of them, you may not be able to see the other one in the first pic, but it's there. Love them!

The other day my oldest big brother (I have three big brothers), CAP, came over and brought me a present. I was so excited! We had talked about this gift a while ago, when I asked him if he still had it. He said he did and that he would love to give it to me as he doesn't have room to display it. Well, it took him a minute and I had forgotten about it, but there he was on a Saturday morning bringing it over. My first ever chess set! And down right GORGEOUS!
Just look:

It does lay flat, but I like how it looks propped up for display.

This has a back story. My daddy worked for Atari back in the 80's. Yup, it was AWESOME! Even had my 6th Birthday party there, but that's another story.

Anyways, my beloved daddy had to do a lot of traveling for Atari, and most of that was over seas in Japan, Hong Kong, and China. He always brought us gifts, which I still have most of. Oh my gosh, this just brought back a memory of one of the gifts he brought my brother and I, matching little cream colored Casio keyboards. I think they may have been one of the first portable style, we LOVED those things. But I don't think we have those anymore.

Okay, back to the chess set story. (Sorry, it's late, I get a little crazy...)

So, my dad was overseas and in this "flea market" style shopping area when he ran across a stall that was selling these. Hand carved Ivory and something stone (dad and I are still trying to research what the dark colored pieces are made of), in these cool wood cases with drawers that hold all of the pieces in these little elastic loops. He couldn't find one that he really liked in the stall, so the gentleman told him to come with him.

This is the part where my mother starts to freak out and tell him what a fool he was to just follow this man down some alley.

But he did.

He followed him down an alley, up two stories and down some dimly light hallway.

Only to end up in a room, filled with more of these chess sets. That's where this one came from. I think it's special that it wasn't out in the stall, being looked at picked over already.
I love the story of my dad taking a chance and finding the best of the best.
So I'm only ever so proud to display it in my home.
Thanks daddy for the memory and thanks big brother CAP for letting me have it.
I promise to love it and pass it down the line.

~nic

No comments:

Post a Comment